On April 24th
, please join us for a special LIVE presentation from the Holocaust Memorial and Tolerance Center (HTMC). Selected speakers from the Holocaust Memorial and Tolerance Center will share the survivor experience, along with a HMTC educator connecting this history with broader themes of tolerance and acceptance. This event is scheduled for 1:10PM
and will last 45 minutes. We recommend this for students in grades 5 - 8
We invite you to take part in the CTN Holocaust Unit Plan
This special Holocaust Remembrance Day Unit Plan was developed by CTN. This unique opportunity to share in a live stream throughout the Diocese as well as the ability to collaborate on a culminating activity is a “first of its kind” project.
1.Register for FTZ Zone : Go to Holocaust Remembrance Day to register- If you are asked for a payment enter CTNZonePilot.
2. Build Prior Knowledge: Teachers may choose from the list of resources/novels/vocabulary below to prepare the class for the live presentation. Students should do some research over the next few days/ vacation. Ex.: KWL chart, Note cards, Book report/review, video review.
3. As a class, students will actively participate in the live streaming event. Please peruse the essential questions, discuss past and present conditions, as well as current events. This is a teachable moment.
4. After completing your survey, you will receive an invitation to take part in a virtual DIocesan classroom. The culminating activity details will be sent to you.
You will receive a confirmation email, with further instructions on how to login on April 24th.
For this special Unit Plan Project, CTN has assembled many resources to prepare your class for discussions on this topic:
Other Instructional Resources:
Suggested Vocabulary/Key Words:
- The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- “I Never Saw Another Butterfly” -Children’s drawings and poems-Terezin Concentration Camps by Hana Volavkova (Editor)
- Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
- The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
- Red Smoke by Veronica Fuxa
- Night by Elie Wiesel
- Hidden Gold: A True Story of the Holocaust by Ella Burakowski
- The Devil’s Arithmetic by Jane Yolen
- Ashes by Kathryn Lasky
- I Have Lived a Thousand Years: Growing Up In The Holocaust by Livia Bitton-Jackson
- The Extra by Kathryn Lasky
- MAUS by Art Spiegelman
- The StoryTeller by Jodi Picoult
Injustice, antisemitism, Nazi, labor camps, genocide, concentration camps, dehumanization, liberation, swastika, Third Reich, gestapo, bigotry, ghetto, collaborator, bystander, upstander, propaganda, totalitarian, Holocaust, Aryan, Auschwitz, racism, stereotype, intolerance, World War 2, Adolf Hitler.
Suggested Essential Questions:
- What are the costs of injustice, bigotry, and hatred?
- How can societies and individuals commemorate difficult parts of history?
- What is the purpose of remembering?
- What are the consequences of forgetting?
- What choices do people make in the face of injustice?
- What obstacles keep people from getting involved in their communities or larger world?
- Why is it important to learn about this part of history?
This special invitation is part of a new pilot CTN, in partnership with Field Trip Zoom, is offering to all our schools, available NOW until the end of the school year. The Zone is a first-of-its-kind live streaming calendar with hundreds of live streaming events organized around the annual academic observance calendar. The lineup of content partners has designed programs specifically to accommodate the Field Trip Zoom Zone live streaming format. While presentation formats will vary, each event runs 30 to 45 minutes and include a question and answer time. The high volume, premium live streams can be easily accessed directly from your classroom via the FieldTripZoom platform.
After your school participates in an event, CTN would like your feedback to determine whether or not we will offer this program to our schools throughout the year.
Please visit the Zone Calendar
or download the calendar in PDF format FieldTripZoom Zone Calendar of Events
to select an event for your classes today!